Here are some FAQ's about Ripple
What statistics exist that highlight the need for R;pple?
- Searches for suicide methods have increased by 50% in the last 2 years (Semrush)
- Searches for suicidal thoughts have increased by 23% since Jan 2019 (Semrush)
- Searches for suicide hotlines have increased by 125% since Jan 2019 (Semrush)
- One in five people have accessed sites which provide information on how to hurt or kill themselves.
- Research has found that not everyone is comfortable speaking over the phone and that visual prompts can help those in a crisis
- Annually, for each death by suicide, 6.9 million people are personally affected. R;pple is offering a platform in which will not only help the individual but will prevent the ripple impact on all people closeby.
- The rate of deaths among under 25s increased by 23.7% from 2017 to 2018 with 730 under 25s taking their own lives in 2018, up from 590 in 2017. (Samaritans)
- “There are 1.2 million internet searches for ways to take your own life every month” - Suicide Forum, 2018
- Harmful internet use was found in 26% of deaths in under 20s and 13% of deaths in 20-24 year-old (Samaritans)
- Three quarters of young people under the age of 35 took their own lives in 2018 were boys or young men. (Papyrus)
- Male suicide is at its highest rate in 20 years in 2020 (ONS)• 93% rise in female under 25 suicide rates since 2012 (ONS)
- Overall, men accounted for three-quarters of UK deaths by suicide in 2018 (ONS)
- There were 5,691 suicides in England and Wales in 2019, that is 321 more compared to the year before. (Samaritans)
- 26.8% of people aged 16-24 report having had suicidal thoughts in their lifetime, a higher percentage than any other age group (MHFA)
- Every 90 minutes in the UK, a life is lost to suicide (The Sun ‘You’re Not Alone Campaign’)
- Over 200 schoolchildren are lost to individuals taking their own life every year. (Samaritans)
Where does R;pple operate?
- UK Wide - The existence of the Ripple Suicide Prevention will benefit people across the UK andis not subject to geographical limits.
- Worldwide – R;pple is now available in the following English speaking countries:
Work is underway to deploy R;pple to other locations around the world, dependant on funding.
Who does R;pple assist, who are R;pple’s beneficiaries?
The people who can benefit from the Ripple include people who are in need of mental health support following an act of carrying out online searches of a harmful nature relating to self-harm and suicide, nationwide. The purpose for which Ripple has been established is to reduce the number of people who are viewing harmful online content relating to self-harm and suicide and increase the number of people who are utilising the plethora of mental health resources available to them.
Who does the project support (age-range, gender etc.), what are their needs and how will you identify them/how do they hear about the project?
Ripple supports individuals of all ages, genders, ethnicities, sexualities and disabilities by providing an interception when an individual searches for harmful content relating to self-harm or suicide online and instead encourages them to seek mental health support from a range of different charities and services in a way which suits them (helpline, text service, webchat, self help app, pocket resources).
Are there plans to take R;pple global?
Yes! R;pple has been translated in over 20 languages and will eventually be available in all countries and territories in different languages.
What exactly do organisations receive for their fee for downloading the software?
Organisations who deploy R;pple across their IT infrastructure will ensure an additional layer of mental health protection is in place for their colleagues. R;pple allows organisations to prioritise the wellbeing of their staff and provide them with a message of hope and a selection of mental health resources should they conduct a harmful online search relating to self-harm or suicide. By installing R;pple, the organisation is directly contributing to the development of the R;pple tool, to include the following:
- Ensuring R;pple is available in more geographies and territories around the world
- Ensuring R;pple is compatible on mobile and tablet devices
- Ensuring R;pple is as intuitive as possible.
For more information about R;pple click here